Re: Ethernet problem

I have a different ethernet card than you in my laptop (it's a DEC Tulip - 21143) but I have found that I have to power off when switching between linux and windows. It doesn't work to do a reboot. If I stay in linux, or stay in windows, I can do a warm reboot, but to switch from one OS to the other it requires a cold boot.

My understanding is that the 21143 is programmable at boot time with some kind of loadable firmware, and I think this firmware is not erased in a warm reboot, and the presence of the firmware from one OS screws up the loading of it from a different OS.

Perhaps you have a similar problem.

What I suggest you try is making a LILO or Grub floppy (grub is available as a package in Woody at least, or you could get the source from http://www.gnu.org/software/grub) and power your machine down, then boot off the floppy. If you find that a cold boot into Linux fixes your problem, then maybe you have a similar situation to mine. If that's the case then your choice would be to continue booting off a floppy, or put LILO or Grub into your boot block so you can get into linux from a cold boot.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com