Re: Linux on Walmart's systemless computers

Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> writes:

> begin  Nathan E Norman quotation:
> >
> > Wal-Mart sells Chinese crap which is cheaper in price and quality than
> > goods produced elsewhere (like, here).
>
> And as a result, gives Chinese people employment that they otherwise
> might not have.
>
> Americans average $36,000 a year; Chinese average $4,000.  Spreading a
> little of that American wealth around to countries with large
> populations barely subsisting, much less excelling, is a good thing.
>
> Again, when you make decisions like this, you have global consequences.
> That $100 you spend at Wal-Mart instead of the mom-and-pop shop would
> have been an hour of sales for them, but it might be the difference
> between starvation and a week of meals for somebody on the other side of
> the world.
>
> It's very easy to make sweeping economic statements from your $2,000
> computer, hooked to your $50/month broadband connection, while wearing
> your $100 sneakers, about how terrible it is that Wal-Mart pumps
> millions of dollars into starving economies around the world.
> Meanwhile, a few less girl babies get drowned because their parents
> can't feed them.

Hmm, people have been able to feed themselves for thousands of years
without the help of American wealth.  I'm quite sure that 80 hour work
weeks at $0.25/hr aren't really necessary for human survival.

Enough of this babbling pro-American-mega-multi-national-corporation
bullshit already.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>