Re: Maildir performance & mutt (was Re: Someone tell me the secret of mutt)

on Fri, Apr 12, 2002, Rich Puhek (rpuhek@etnsystems.com) wrote:

> dman wrote:
>
> > Karsten wrote:
> > | With 1000+ messages (and 5000+ is pretty easily attainable), performance
> > | on opening a folder sucks.  I assume it's because mutt has to do an
> > | fopen() on each file, scan headers, group output, and sort it.  The
> > | result is a several-seconds (sometimes 10-20) on opening large folders.

> > More memory for disk cache?  I've found that the first time I open a

<...>

> I'm guessing it's the sheer number of messages in the directory... ext2

I'm using Reiserfs.

The problem doesn't seem to be scanning the filelist, but opening each
file to read the mail headers.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   What doesn't kill you makes you stranger.