Re: Maildir performance & mutt (was Re: Someone tell me the secret of mutt)

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:25:00AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Thu, Apr 11, 2002, dman (dman@dman.ddts.net) wrote:
|
| > You have no lack of control over how it behaves.  (I use maildir
| > myself)
|
| OK, question for you.
|
| I've switched to maildir, um, well, I forget why.  Maybe peformance,
| maybe trepidation over my mbox files breaking one day.

Yeah, the lack of a lock is great.

| With 1000+ messages (and 5000+ is pretty easily attainable), performance
| on opening a folder sucks.  I assume it's because mutt has to do an
| fopen() on each file, scan headers, group output, and sort it.  The
| result is a several-seconds (sometimes 10-20) on opening large folders.
|
| Is there any way to speed this up?

More memory for disk cache?  I've found that the first time I open a
large maildir folder the disk will crank for a while.  I expect it
would do just as bad if it was mbox, probably worse.  The next time it
is real fast because the disk is cached in memory.  At any rate,
updating the folder (ie deleting one message) is much faster.

| The faster of the two boxes is a PIII-400 (faster's on the way), 384
| MiB, SCSI drive.

Duron 750 , 2 or 3 year old IDE disk , 256 MB RAM

-D

--

Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man who can find?