Re: X/Gnome won't start properly

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 5:06 pm, Nick Hall wrote:
> I'm running XFree86 4.1.0.1 and Gnome. A couple days ago I did
> apt-get upgrade (I was running testing) and it upgraded some
> packages. The next day when I started my computer it started
> into X and the username/password box came up, but after I
> typed in my info the screen went black for a fraction of
> a second and then returned to the username/pass prompt. If I
> type in an incorrect password it doesn't go black and
> immediately gives the incorrect login message so it looks
> like the problem is that after it has verified the login
> is correct, it tries to run whatever component of X or
> Gnome that is supposed to and that is failing. I don't see
> any errors in either /var/log/xdm.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log.
> Yesterday I dist-upgraded to unstable to see if any upgrades
> of packages would fix the problem but they didn't. Does anyone
> have any suggestions? Like where I should look to debug this?
> If I saw where the problem lied in a log file I could begin
> to figure out how to fix it, but as is, I have no idea what
> the problem is, whether its in X or Gnome. Thanks a lot for
> any help,
>
> Nick

I don't know if this will fix it, but check that you havn't run out of space
on the partition. I have had this after upgrading, because I had simple
filled up the hd, and the logs (i presume) couldn't be written.

Once freeing up some space all worked again :-)

--
Cheers.... John

Amiga A1200 PPC running Linux/Apus Debian and KDE2.*
Web site http://www.lordofchaos.co.uk