Re: Fonts on an LCD Flat Panel

* Rick Crawford (rick@vroop.com) spake thusly:
> I'm starting to get very frustrated.
>
> I acquired a new computer with a 17" Flat Panel Monitor (a Gateway
> FPD1700).  Installed Woody on it, and the fonts all looked quite
> horrendous.  I followed all of the font-deuglification tricks with the
> TrueType directory's fonts.alias file, etc., but the fonts, while
> improved, still render pretty poorly.
>
> I've adjusted the screen resolution, the DPI, and various other things,
> all to no avail.  I know that LCDs have a "default" screen resolution,
> and I'm using that.
>
> Is there anything else about LCDs that I could be
> missing which would make fonts appear jagged and fuzzy?

I assume you're talking about X and Gnome? Unless someone
comes up with a better advice, ditch Gnome and install KDE.
On my LCD I get ugly fonts in gtk applications only, KDE ones
are OK (though font quality on LCDs is noticeably lower than
on CRTs, regardless).

> Any help would be appreciated, before I throw my flat panel out the
> window (which would be unfortunate).

Well, if you get to that point, I'll be happy to give your
monitor a new home. I'll pay the postage, too.

Dima
--
... with the exception of January and February 1900, all Microsoft application
libraries counted dates the same way.