X/Gnome won't start properly

I'm running XFree86 4.1.0.1 and Gnome. A couple days ago I did
apt-get upgrade (I was running testing) and it upgraded some
packages. The next day when I started my computer it started
into X and the username/password box came up, but after I
typed in my info the screen went black for a fraction of
a second and then returned to the username/pass prompt. If I
type in an incorrect password it doesn't go black and
immediately gives the incorrect login message so it looks
like the problem is that after it has verified the login
is correct, it tries to run whatever component of X or
Gnome that is supposed to and that is failing. I don't see
any errors in either /var/log/xdm.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log.
Yesterday I dist-upgraded to unstable to see if any upgrades
of packages would fix the problem but they didn't. Does anyone
have any suggestions? Like where I should look to debug this?
If I saw where the problem lied in a log file I could begin
to figure out how to fix it, but as is, I have no idea what
the problem is, whether its in X or Gnome. Thanks a lot for
any help,

Nick