Re: Maildir performance & mutt (was Re: Someone tell me the secret of mutt)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:02:46 -0700
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Sylpheed opens folders very quickly because it keeps its own index
> file in each folder, and so does not need to read headers from every
> file.

Yes. :)

> Since Sylpheed uses MH format, which requires a folder lock any
> time you want to modify a folder, it can do this without any real
> disadvantage. Maildir, however, does not need folder locks, so adding
> an index file(which would have to be locked for modification) seems
> like a bad idea.

Well, I didn't think that MH required entire-directory locks. Anyways,
even if that's true, a) Mutt doesn't use a cache, even for MH, b) Mutt
doesn't use a cache, for anything(I don't think), and c) there's no
reason the cache needs to be within the folder itself :)

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \