Re: OT: Etymology of a clue

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:28:31AM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:41:10PM -0700, ben wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 April 2002 10:48 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > [big snip}
> >
> > karsten, if there were a competition to construct the most impact-full
> > phrase, you would have to win with "a modicum of clue." i swear, that kicks
> > my ass. i'm sitting back with a drink in my hand cheering your linguistic
> > audacity. after all, if we can't have some fun here, what's the fsking point
> > of it all? i know that i'll use that phrase outside of this list. i'll try to
> > remember to give you credit for it, but i hope you won't be offended if i
> > forget.
>
> Etymology of "a modicum of [a] clue":
>
> <predecessor?>
> "Get a clue!"
> 	- origin ??
> "If <person> had half of a clue ..."
> 	- origin ??
> "If <person> had a modicum of [a] clue ..."
> 	- Karsten Self, debian-user@lists.org, 2002 (original ?)
>
> modicum - 15c, a small portion: a limited quantity
>
> clue - (var clew) 15c, something that guides through an intricate
> procedure or maze of difficulties; /specif./: a piece of evidence
> that leads one toward a solution of a problem. (also: ball of thread,
> yarn, or cord. a lower corner or only the after corner of a sail.
> a metal loop attached to the lower corner of a sail. a combination of
> lines by which a hammock is suspended.)
>
> Somehow, I think having "half" or "a modicum" of a clue is equivalent
> to not having a clue; otherwise it'd be one ;-)  So, saying, "if <xyz>
> had half a clue ...", is bass ackwards.
>
> (definitions excerpted from Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictionary)

Since we're OTing in a linguistic direction here: It seems to me "clue"
is being used as a mass noun now/on this list, as evidenced by the fact
that Karsten wrote "a modicum of clue", not "a modicum of a clue", and
by expressions like "more clue".

OTOH, if a break a piece of evidence, are the parts not halves (or
thirds, or whatever) of a clue ;-)?

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen