Setting up sound

Hello,

Up untill now I haven't succeeded in setting up sound on my system. Just
looked into it. Aparantly the sound card doesn't get detected when
booting. A colleague of mine got his card working through alsa.

I installed alsa-conf which automatically installs alsa-base, alsa-utils
and alsaconf. Afterwards I start this alsconf. I select the card from
the list SB PCI 128. But afterwards I have to specify 'Max. dac1
(playback1) frame size in kB' What is this parameter. Next option is
playback 2???  And record.

When I exit the config I get these messages.

No ALSA driver installed
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module
snd
 failed.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
No ALSA driver installed
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

This alsa thing is new to me so I'm a bit lost.
Any pointers.

-Jeroen-

--
Jeroen Valcke               jeroen@valcke.com
Once they go up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department."