Re: Woody???

Hi!

The following suggestion worked well for me:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200201/msg05307.html

I did "dselect update" instead of "apt-get update" since that will update
the "available" file as well (which is useful when using "tasksel"). In
addition, you might consider just updating "apt" in the very beginning
instead of upgrading the packages

apt apt-utils dpkg debconf perl

at once (even though the original suggestion worked well for me). The only
problem I came accross that the kdelibs package could not be upgraded. I
solved this by removing all the KDE stuff and reinstalled it via
"tasksel" (using option "desktop environment").

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Mattias Berg wrote:

> I'l need to dist-upgrade to woody due kernelchange.. didn't work.. totally
> fuck'd up my server... Try'd to reinstall debian and try with unstable...
> didn't work.. totally fuck'd up my server...

How did you do it? What *precisely* did you do?

> What the hell are you doing over there? Debian used to be a stable and
> trustable distribution (95% even with unstable dist-upgrade) for just about
> a year ago..

I can't speak for unstable, since I'm using testing with kernel 2.4.18,
but I think Debian testing *is* very stable compared to other distros. I
got the impression that the Debian developers and maintainers are working
very hard and are doing a good job. Thus, they simply do not deserve
statements like yours.

> I have been running debian since i was 18 years old.. (i'm 23 now)..
> But i will search for a more stable distribution.. Debian sucks big time..

Strange. If you have *really* been using Debian for five years now, you
should be familiar with administrating a Debian system, especially with
upgrading (unless you've never upgraded your system before). Another
advice I can give you is simply to ask for help (or search the
archives) *before* you are actually performing the upgrade. Speaking from
experience, the subscribers of the debian-user list are really kind people
and are willing to help you if you encounter problems.

Greetings,

	Holger