Re: "md" question: RAID partitions lack device nodes

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:03:45 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:24:54 -0400, Cory Snavely wrote:
>> To be honest I'm very disappointed about this (*put on asbestos underwear*)
>> immature implementation. Suppose I have a HUGE RAID that I want to create
two
>> dozens of partitions on. That would mean I need to create physical
partitions
>> on ALL drives involved, and later combine them using raidtab.
>
>Use LVM, that is the real way people deal with huge RAID arrays in real

We're not talking about "huge" arrays in this case. I just need RAID1
(mirroring.) (We have two hardware RAIDs for our fileserver, so I'm not going
to use software RAID for "huge" filesystems.)

Would you recommend LVM anyway? So that I can "partition" the /dev/md0 device?

>life.  Partitions just aren't flexible enough.  But be careful with your
>root device, anything other than simple RAID1 will give you trouble there
>(as in it is not impossible, but it is non-trivial to arrange the kernel to
>boot from it).

I will have the kernel on a separate ext2 /boot partition that's not being
mirrored.

>Do notice that you must have the LVM device ON TOP of RAID, not the other
>way around.

Sure, everything else would be quite strange. :-)

Thanks for your comments.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\