Re: mail rules (WAS Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks)

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 11:16, ben wrote:
> On Thursday 11 April 2002 02:39 am, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> > Hi all,

I didn't say force people to use filters.  I said that if you don't like
something, it makes sense to filter it and things like ms-tnef are
particularly easy to filter.

> formatting in mail messages. the solution is simple--use plain text.
>
> so far, we've got three simple rules that appear to be generally approved--
>
>   1. no spam
>
>   2. text-only (no html, ms-tnef, etc.)

Does that exculde the hotmail yahoo whatever browser-based mailer
people?

Personally I don't mind html mail.  I score against it in spam filtering
but I see a lot of it from perfectly reasonable people.

ms-tnef is not a mail format.  I think its an autoresponse...I don't
know if people choose to send it.

>   3. wrap text

Agreed.  A tip on how to do this would probably be useful as its not
easy to set up if you don't know how.

> --none of which require that anyone radically modify the essential structure
> of their own setup. let's stick with simple solutions.

The simple solution is do nothing.  The list is fine.  The rules you
suggest are the basis of all email, not something specific to Debian.

--

Patrick