mail rules (WAS Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks)

On Thursday 11 April 2002 12:53 am, Rich Rudnick wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 00:35, ben wrote:
> > >
> > > If I'm helping people out with, say X problems for example, I'd far
> > > prefer to see their config and log files as attachments rather than
> > > pasted, simply beccause of the sheer length of them. Also a lot of
> > > files, for example fstab, are just plain awkward to read when pasted
> > > and wrapped. And what about gpg ? Attachments are pretty useful things
> > > on the whole, even if some of them might contain things none of us are
> > > interested in .
> >
> >   1. no spam
> >
> >   2. text-only (no html, ms-tnef, etc.)
> >
> >   3. wrap text
> >
> > since i've not been done wrong by any attachment i've ever received, and
> > no real objection to them exists as yet, what other conditions need
> > apply? while the three above seem trivial, the purpose of this is to
> > generate an advisory notice for new subscribers. what else shoud be on
> > that list?
>
> 4.  Spell check.

i think stipulating a spell check would impose too much on many non-native
english speakers whose participation on this list is very valuable, and the
purpose of the rules is to enable harmonious inclusion rather than exclusion.
apart from that, misspelled words are hardly a great source of consternation.