sb live/X/emu10k1

Hi all,
I have got a problem: I am using woody installed via netinst. After configuring X I now would like to make my sound card working! It's an soundblaster live value pci. So I created a new file /etc/modutils/sound with two lines: alias char-major-14 emu10k1 and alias sound emu10k1. In console I can play sounds for example using mpg321. But in X I cannot! Neither in kde nor gnome nor twm - neither with mpg321 in xterm nor with xmms using oss output plugin! Xmms and mpg321 do not produce error messages. Kmix even does not show me a mixer and I cannot add a new mixer for device /dev/dsp. I also tried to disable and reenable artsd.
ideas? Thanks for helping