Re: kernel recompile takes the "work" out of "network"

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 11:49, Yury Sulsky wrote:
> Crispin, thanks for replying.
>
> I checked "dmesg | grep tulip" and "dmesg | grep eth0", and the returned
> lines looked the same as what I got with the default kernel. Besides,
> wouldn't "ifconfig -a" not find eth0 if the tulip driver wasn't working?

yes. true.

> I also installed the dhcping package, which checks to see if DHCP is
> working, and while it worked with the default kernel, there was no response
> in the recompiled one.
>
> I've attached the config file for the kernel like you asked - you're
> probably right in saying it's the config file, since I'm pretty new at this
> and so had almost no clue what I was choosing when I configured it.

It looks fine to me. Perhaps theres some obscure parameter that needs to
be set that DHCP uses internally. Perhaps someone else knows exactly
what? Somebody? Somebody? Bueller?

What errors if any does DHCP give you? Can you run it under strace and
see what its doing, or is it just silently (not) running?

Crispin