Re: kernel recompile takes the "work" out of "network"

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:22, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 11:49, Yury Sulsky wrote:
> > Crispin, thanks for replying.
> >
> > I checked "dmesg | grep tulip" and "dmesg | grep eth0", and the returned
> > lines looked the same as what I got with the default kernel. Besides,
> > wouldn't "ifconfig -a" not find eth0 if the tulip driver wasn't working?
>
> yes. true.
>
> > I also installed the dhcping package, which checks to see if DHCP is
> > working, and while it worked with the default kernel, there was no response
> > in the recompiled one.
> >
> > I've attached the config file for the kernel like you asked - you're
> > probably right in saying it's the config file, since I'm pretty new at this
> > and so had almost no clue what I was choosing when I configured it.
>
> It looks fine to me. Perhaps theres some obscure parameter that needs to
> be set that DHCP uses internally. Perhaps someone else knows exactly
> what? Somebody? Somebody? Bueller?
>
> What errors if any does DHCP give you? Can you run it under strace and
> see what its doing, or is it just silently (not) running?

Is it just DHCP that doesn't work or is there other bits of the network
that are not working. Try using ifconfig to set an address and netmask
and to bring the interface up - then try pinging that interface. If this
works, the network driver should be working fine.

What client are you using - i remember a little while ago that a client
that worked on 2.2 doesnt work on 2.4. I use dhclient and that works
fine. pump is also supposed to work fine.

HTH,

Shri