Re: mapping dell cpu to woody 2.4.16 kernel

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 00:25, dman wrote:
<snip>
> | NNN should be the arch notation taken from the table above
>
> I've never used this argument, but I have specified an arch in the
> configuration menu.
<snip>
I know there is a place to specify arch in the kernel .config file, but
I dont think the gcc knows about this.  the --subarch switch tells the
gcc about that and it puts in certain optimizations.

> Increment the revision number each time you recompile.  This will
> prevent conflicts between the packages, and you'll also know which
> recompile you are testing this time.

I always do this now because I had a problem with some stale modules
left behind after I recompiled a kernel(thats what I get for not
listening to the warnings) but IMHO its just good practice to get rid of
bad and old kernels.
Also the revision number isnt going to be included in the kernel name.
You might try
--append_to_version foo
foo being something that differentiates between each kernel(perhaps 1.0)

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."