Re: 2 distros

If you're wanting to install a second distro, but you didn't plan ahead for it, it's likely that doing the second installation would be troublesome for you, because you would need some hard drive partitions you hadn't planned for.

One option in this case is to use User Mode Linux. This is a version of a linux installation in which the kernel runs as a user process within your existing Suse (or whatever) installation. It uses a filesystem heirarchy that lives within a single large regular file on your existing installation.

This has several advantages. One is that if you don't like the installation, or you mess it up somehow, you can back it out just by deleting that file. It's also used for things like debugging the kernel with user mode kernels, studying kernel operation, and trying out unknown user applications and new kernel code in a sandbox where it won't be able to attack your machine.

It's particularly useful for what you want to do, to evaluate a different distribution.

The project home page should be:

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

But it's not responding for me right this sec. The project sourceforge page is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/user-mode-linux/

which is responding. I see that they have readymade Debian and RedHat distributions you can download, as well as just the kernel.

It probably takes more expertise with Linux to get user-mode Linux configured properly on your machine than to just run an installer of a CD to naked hardware, but what you would learn in doing this would probably be pretty worthwhile.

It is possible to install many different distributions simultaneously on a PC that you boot off for real (not running in a user process like the above) but it requires that you either carefully plan your partitioning ahead of time before you do your first installation, or that you use extra disk drives.

If you use SCSI disks with either wide or LVD scsi, using a controller such as the adaptec 29160, you can have up to 15 separate disk drives (with some in external cases) and boot off of any of them. You can either use the SCSI controller BIOS settings to select a boot drive, or use a fancy boot loader like grub (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ and available as a debian package).

I do cross platform development and am always having to run some random new OS, so I use SCSI drives as much as I can.

Best,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com/