Re: mapping dell cpu to woody 2.4.16 kernel

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:50:27PM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
| On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 15:42, dman wrote:
| > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:35:37AM -0700, harsh@lanl.gov wrote:
| >
| > | I would like to use a 2.4.16 kernel with woody.

| > Go with kernel 2.4.18 instead.  The latest is (almost) always better.
| > I've got 2.4.18 running on both my machines.
|
| I agree.  But maybe you should cook your own using kernel-package
| just grab the kernel source off the nearest kernel.org mirror untar it

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18

| and
| make {config, menuconfig, xconfig}
| then
| make-kpkg clean && make-kpkg --revision I --subarch NNN --arch_in_name kernel_image

fakeroot make-kpkg clean  && \
    fakeroot make-kpkg \
        --config={config,menuconfig,xconfig} \
        --append-to-version=-custom.$I \
        --revision=custom.$I \
        kernel_image

| I should be a number to differentiate between different kernels in dpkg

ditto

| NNN should be the arch notation taken from the table above

I've never used this argument, but I have specified an arch in the
configuration menu.

| after this it should compile and you should have a kernel optimized for
| your architecture.  Also if one kernel doesnt work, be sure to uninstall
| it before you install a new one that you re-compiled.

Increment the revision number each time you recompile.  This will
prevent conflicts between the packages, and you'll also know which
recompile you are testing this time.

-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,