insmod

At 10:50 07/04/02 -0700, Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> wrote:
>>>>> "gob" == gob  <gob@subdimension.com> writes:

    gob> If all else fails, I'll see my brother about Woody CD
    gob> upgrades.

If that means that you're certain you're running something older than
Woody, then I'd suggest you upgrade to Woody before you do anything
else.  That's because the xfree packages you want to use require
(sigh) a newer version of the GNU C library than that on your system.
And you can't have both libraries present at once ... if you upgrade
the library, then every other package will break.  That Would Be Bad.

Yes it is potato I'm running. I'll go with your suggestion and try to get Woody. I've managed to install the PCMCIA package off the CDs, had a glitch and now must learn about insmod.

I have what is probably a very basic problem, maybe you can help. I ran through dselect and installed various packages, but one remained uninstalled. The message was as follows:

"The actual kernel modules for this package in pcmcia-modules-<kernel version> package were not installed. Suggest you move /lib/modules/2.2.19 to (eg.) /lib/modules/2.2.19.old and reinstall this package". (part of this is from memory-might be wrong!)

I have renamed the file as suggested, but do not know the syntax of the next step. I presume it is something like insmod pcmcia-modules-<2.2.19> ...................(this part I don't know). I've tried man insmod and only confused myself. Any suggestions for the newbie? Or am I so off the mark I should back off and wait for Woody? It seems upgrades are required to get my winmodem going-not a good option!

TIA, Tim