Re: Newbie:dpkg,dselect,apt?

At 09:22 07/04/02 -0700, Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> wrote:

I can think of two ways you might get that version of X running:

* Look at http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/xserver-common.html
  to see what other packages you might need -- I'll bet you need
  xserver-xfree86.  Download and install those.

or

* If your laptop is running a version of Debian older than "woody"
  (aka "testing") upgrade to woody.  Doing so will automatically
  upgrade X.

Your suggestion is what I've just been doing: looking at the debian site, and I need

xserver_xfree86 4.1.0-14
xserver-common 4.1.0-14
xfree86-common 4.1.0-14

I'm about to reboot into that partition and see if I have any of these, plus the correct versions of the other dependant files listed (debianutils, debconf, libc6, zlib1g).

I'm also trying to find out if I need a kernel update to go with this. Searches so far don't suggest this is the case. Any comments?

I attempted a dialup with the winmodem/linmodem (HAMR 5600 voicemodem from SmartLink) with WvDial, which failed:

WvDial:Internet dialer version 1.41
Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/Output error.

I checked the IRQ and port, and set them to 10 and 0x3e8 respectively (previously 4 and 0000), but still got the I/O error. It seems that I'm going to have to obtain kernel 2.4.6 for any success. I don't even know if its possible to install this without the full upgrade.

What I will do is try to reset my sources.list and see if there are any dialup packages on the CDs that could help. Its becoming apparent to me that this is even more critical than the X system.

If all else fails, I'll see my brother about Woody CD upgrades.

Thanks for your help, Eric.

Tim