Re: Newbie:dpkg,dselect,apt?

Ah sorry I do believe I have potato.  Maybe thats the origin of this quandry.

Thank you Hans, many constructive comments. I had envisaged working through all these installation glitches, then reinstalling the whole system once I was sure what files I needed. As time passes its becoming obvious I should get this dialup going first, and go with the updates instead. I'll take that challenge on, maybe in a few weeks I'll post, asking about drivers for a HARM voice modem.. Give me a chance to wade through the help files first tho! ;-)

Tim