xemacs on debian = horked

Xemacs (xemacs21-21.4.6-7) on Debian appears to be completely horked.
There are tons of bug reports going back over 2-1/2 years, many without so
much as an initial reply from the maintainer. Many appear to cover very
simple but very annoying issues. What's going on? Is this package
orphaned? A Linux distrubtion without a working xemacs is not a serious
Linux distribution.

I'd offer to help but there is no way I'm learing lisp. I just need a
decent multimode text editor that has both a nice GUI AND a text console
interface. Are there any alternatives out there?