Re: debian on old notebook

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 07:04:52PM +0200, Mirek Dobsicek wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have few question. Most of time I'm at college and twice a months
>I go home for a weekend. I dont have computer at home, and sometimes
>I need to continue at my work (coding and writing articles in VIM).
>
>I'd like to buy some old notebook and install Debian on in.
>Right now I can buy i486 at 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 500MB HDD
>for $10 US dolars.

OK.  Buy a Linux compliant PCMCIA network card.  You will grow old and die
if you try living with a parallel cable connection.

>Is it good idea to try install Debian on it? Is it possible with 8MB of RAM?

Yes.  In fact, you can do it comfortably on 4MB.  The only concern is
X Windows - I have a very good .twmrc if you want X.  It replicates
the win95 task bar so task switching is real easy.

Also, use aterm instead of xterm.  It has more functionality but uses
less resources...he difference is tiny on most amchines but on that
notebook you won't want to waste resources.

>I need it just for VIM writting, man pages displaying, and Lynx offline
>browsing.

If you use X, check out dillo for browsing...its a lot more
comfortable than lynx though less sophisticated.

>What could be the way to install Debian? I'm thinking that easist way
>is to connect notebook with my computer with parallel cable and
>install from internet.

Install from floppies.  OK it takes ages but you are going to be in
front of the machine for ages installing in any case.  How hard is it
to keep feeding it floppies while sitting there installing?

>Or
should I forget it and save $10?  > >

There's a useful tip on running apps on a powerful box but having the
display on another at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org.

Anyway, what's $10 compared to being able to say that real men make
old notebooks last forever and nvidia cards are just for wusses :-()