Re: Shell Nigeria Tender

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:35:15PM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> begin  quoting what Simon Hepburn said on Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 07:02:04PM +0100:
> >
> > Tell me something, how many spammers do you know who advertise their address
> > and telephone #.
>
> Quite a few.  Mostly stupid ones.
>
> How many spammers do you know who *DON'T* give you some method of
> actually contacting them to  purchase their product?

The email in question was requesting support for free software.  It
was not an attempt to sell something.  While you may not have found
the email useful it was not spam.

that, I'll not ask those debian jerks for support".  This would be bad
for the free software movement.

Should the OP have sent the email to another recipient, like d-devel
or the maintainer?  Sure, but it's likely the OP didn't know about
those alternatives.

> > alert the list that somebody had forwarded the message to him so that several
> > hundred other well-intentioned users would not do likewise.
>
> And, of course, you had to quote the ENTIRE email, because otherwise
> somebody might have thought you only sent him the first 75 lines, and
> then a hundred people would have sent him the other lines.

I do agree that the response could have skipped the cc: back to
d-user.

> Makes perfect sense.

Try relaxing ... it's better for your health.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship