Re: Use of dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections

Hi,

Key is "do not upgrade SSH and blow-up upgrade."

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:43:12AM +1000, John F wrote:
> We have a situaution where we want to ensure that a server has a certain
> list of packages installed. It can have extra packages, but it _must_
> have the list we specify on it.
>
> Can I use dpkg -get-selections > a.file and then edit it to only include

Yes.  But this has to be  dpkg --get-selections > a.file

Even better:  dpkg --get-selections \* > a.file

This lists "purged" packages in list so no excess packages.

> the install and deinstall lines for the critical packages on machine
> number 1, then on the other machine run dpkg --set-selections < a.file ?
> Or does the input to --set-selections have to be a complete list of all
> packages that should be on the machine?

Yep.  Just do not upgrade ssh/telnet which you are connected.  This may
cause complication.  Use of program "screen" and run process on
"detached" screen may be a good idea.

> I can't try this out in case I blow away the machine we need to
> duplicate off - the other machine we have to duplicate to is a long way
> away and hasnt been built yet...

If so, I recommend you to try it locally first.  Confirm it to work by
yourself.  Good luck.

 Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
.
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
 Project at: http://qref.sf.net
.
 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.