Use of dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections

Hi all,

We have a situaution where we want to ensure that a server has a certain list of packages installed. It can have extra packages, but it _must_ have the list we specify on it.

Can I use dpkg -get-selections > a.file and then edit it to only include the install and deinstall lines for the critical packages on machine number 1, then on the other machine run dpkg --set-selections < a.file ? Or does the input to --set-selections have to be a complete list of all packages that should be on the machine?

I can't try this out in case I blow away the machine we need to duplicate off - the other machine we have to duplicate to is a long way away and hasnt been built yet...

Thanks,

John P Foster
http://www.golden-orb.com/

--
I do not support the Australian Government's Policies on Refugees and Mandatory Detention. The Mandatory Detention of Refugees is an Obscenity and is profoundly un-Australian . This is MY opinion and not that of my company. I wish more Australians would stand up about this.