Re: ATA Raid

* Jeff J. (jeff@campbellcounty.com) [020403 08:13]:
> I am looking for an ATA/100 or 133 RAID controller that fulfills these two requirements:
>
> Operates in a 66mhz PCI slot.
>
> Is (well?) supported by Debian.
>
> Somewhere in the $200 range would be nice.  Does such a thing exist?
> I know there is very little official support for Debian from various
> vendors, so I thought I'd check to see what works from other Debian
> users before I buy a useless card.

I'm not a RAIDer myself, but from what I've heard through the grapevine,
software raid is the way to go. Of course, if you've a good reason for
choosing hardware over software raid, more power to you, but I've heard
plenty of people saying "ditch that piece of junk and just use software
RAID which works beautifully" when asked about hardware RAID
controllers.

Also, (generally speaking) Debian doesn't have anything to do with your
hardware. If it works with Linux, it works with Linux. You just might
have to (maybe patch and) recompile your kernel to get it working, but
Debian doesn't really meddle at that level (thought it can help you
build a kernel .deb)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml