Re: kernel not booting

on Mon, Apr 01, 2002, Scott Henson (shenson2@wvu.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:44, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Mar 31, 2002, Scott Henson (shenson2@wvu.edu) wrote:
> > > I just compiled a new 2.4.19-pre4-ac3 kernel.  Now I have been
> > > compiling kernels for quite a long time, and Im not sure why its not
> > > booting.  It gets all the way to where it displays "Init version 2.84"
> <snip>
> > Have you tried booting single-user mode?
> >
> > Can you boot an alternate kernel?
>
> I tried booting into single-user mode and it doesnt even display the
> comment about Init version 2.84  It stops at the comment before that.  I
> think something about mounting my ext3 file system as read-only.

Rather than "I think something about...", how about transcribing the
last few messages from the boot screen.  More data are necessary, and
we're not the ones sitting in front of the console.

> And yes I can boot into my old kernel.

> The reason I am so concerned is that this is the first kernel I have
> built on this system.

I've built plenty of nonbootable kernels....

> The only other two kernels I have are the bf2.4

Sorry?  What's 'bf2.4'?

> and another 2.4.19 pre ac kernel.  I built the 2.4.19 kernel on
> another woody system before I got the updated bin-utils.  I am just
> wondering if this might have something to do with that.

One test would be rebuilding the same kernel (2.4.19) on your current
system, with identical configs.

> I have also tried building it again and I diffed my old .config for
> the kernel that will run with the new .config and there wasnt much
> difference.

"Not much" is not meaningful.  Post the diff output.

> Should I report this to the lkm list?

At this point, and at this level of detail, you'd be wasting time of
many smart people.

> I tried compiling it again and still no go.  Any other ideas?

You're going to have to provide more data.

Knowing the messages output, the devices on your system, the type of
system (I'm assuming x86), drives, and memory, will all help.  Possibly
your /usr/src/linux/.config file as well.

In general, output of following will be informative.  Clearly you'll
have to run them from a booted kernel.  Examine output yourself first
and post to list if you have questions.

   set -v
   cat /proc/cpuinfo
   free
   lspci
   cat /proc/modules
   cat /proc/interrups
   cat /proc/ioports
   dmesg

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.