cm205

"Well, here's the fun bit, it seems that due to the fact that I own (yep
still own it) a cm205(MS) cdrom drive I would be unable to get the cdrom
usable under linux (something to do with the driver code not being
released for people to program a driver for it under linux)... hmm.. so I
put the cd's on the shelf for a few years..."

Hiya Peter,
  Just came across bits of a thread on the cm205 while searching for info on it.

  According to the "cd-rom how to" there is indeed a driver for the cm205 written for linux but for some bizzare reason it's only ever been available as a kernel patch. I've never ever been able to find a kernel driver for it. Now the thing is that I want to install linux on an old laptop. The cm205 is incredibly useful because you can just plug it into anything with an isa slot and it's helped me a lot over the ages, it could definitely help me if I had a kernel for it, even now after all these years.

I mean it's all well and nice saying there is source code out there for it but thats not a lot of use if you want to install linux. By a bizzare coincidence I also had an infomagic cd set long long ago, and tried to install and use linux a number of times over the ages but despite a little experimenting with slackware 2.01 it never really went anywhere till now when I am running debian.

My laptop is still sitting waiting for the day I can do something complicated with ethernet cards to finally get linux on there.

love

Freya