Re: Printing to a postscript file

on Sat, Mar 30, 2002, dman (dman@dman.ddts.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:42:11PM -0600, McNeill Kirkpatrick wrote:
> | I am trying to create a .ps file and I can't seem to find documentation
> | on it anywhere. I am wondering if there is a way to configure things so
> | that when I print something it is output to a postscript file rather
> | than being sent to a printer( I don't own a printer so this would be a
> | permanent setup). Any help anyone can give me on this would be great.
>
> Many programs have this option.  In the print dialog there's a radio
> button with a text box for "command" or "filename".  Typically the
> default is to send to the "lp" or "lpr" command.
>
> Alternatively you could specify a filter in /etc/printcap (if you're
> using lpd or lprng).  The filter would then be a simple script that
> consumes all input and sticks it in a file.
>
> Another method is to use CUPS and just disable the printer.  The print
> jobs (postcript) will reside in /var/spool/cups/, but only root and
> the lp user can access those files by default.  (you would need to
> switch to one of those users to copy the file to where ever you want)

You can also commonly change the print command in a program.  I do this
typically to filter through psnup or mpage, you can also redirect the
output to a file.

My galeon "print command" generally resembles:

   mpage -2 | lpr # gv -seascape -letter -magstep 1 - # > /tmp/galeon.ps

...where the dialog respect shell syntax, including comment characters
('#').  If I want to preview or print to file, I reorder the arguments
appropriately.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/