Re: kernel not booting

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:44, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Mar 31, 2002, Scott Henson (shenson2@wvu.edu) wrote:
> > I just compiled a new 2.4.19-pre4-ac3 kernel.  Now I have been
> > compiling kernels for quite a long time, and Im not sure why its not
> > booting.  It gets all the way to where it displays "Init version 2.84"
<snip>
> Have you tried booting single-user mode?
>
> Can you boot an alternate kernel?

I tried booting into single-user mode and it doesnt even display the
comment about Init version 2.84  It stops at the comment before that.  I
think something about mounting my ext3 file system as read-only.  And
yes I can boot into my old kernel.  The reason I am so concerned is that
this is the first kernel I have built on this system.  The only other
two kernels I have are the bf2.4 and another 2.4.19 pre ac kernel.  I
built the 2.4.19 kernel on another woody system before I got the updated
bin-utils.  I am just wondering if this might have something to do with
that.  I have also tried building it again and I diffed my old .config
for the kernel that will run with the new .config and there wasnt much
difference.  Should I report this to the lkm list?  I tried compiling it
again and still no go.  Any other ideas?

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."