Re: signal 4 kills X

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 11:43:20PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> [2002.03.29.2104 +0100]:
>> also sprach Andrew Agno <agno@AI.SRI.COM> [2002.03.29.1953 +0100]:
>>> Possibly a problem with an interaction with any power-saving mode you
>>> have?
>>
>> i was thinking about that too, but on AC power, all the BIOS power
>> stuff is disabled (and i am running it on AC power currently).
>>
>> but for testing purposes, i have disabled apmd for now.
>
> (no effect)
>
>> however, the laptop is neither suspended nor unplugged, not even the
>> display is closed... i am going to record the idle time until it crashes
>> now!
>
> here are the recorded times of three crashes:
>
> idle time start:                  crash:
> Fri Mar 29 21:17:49 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 21:37:49 CET 2002
> Fri Mar 29 21:39:17 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 21:59:18 CET 2002
> Fri Mar 29 22:19:23 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 22:39:24 CET 2002
>
> i think you get the idea. 20 minutes. but neither my BIOS has a 20
> minute setting for APM/ACPI nor can i find a 5+15 setting or anything
> like that. ACPI is disabled anyway.
>
> to make sure, i disabled all power management in the BIOS, which was
> only "Smart CPU mode" for AC and rebooted. waiting for that result
> now. ah, there she comes... but a crash after 20 minutes...
>
> the last thing to test is boot-time disabling of apm, so at the lilo
> prompt: linux apm=off
>
> but another crash after 20 minutes. wtf???

I had the same problem with an ibm tp a30 (radeon chip). I also use the
vesa interface for X, and after finding the following in `man
XF86Config-4' I just turned DPMS off, and now it works:

,----[ Option "StandbyTime"  "time" ]
| sets the inactivity timeout for the "standby" phase of DPMS mode.  time
| is  in  minutes, and the value can be changed at run-time with xset(1).
| Default: 20 minutes.  This is only suitable for  VESA  DPMS  compatible
| monitors,  and  may  not be supported by all video drivers.  It is only
| enabled for screens that have the "DPMS" option set  (see  the  MONITOR
| section below).
`----

I still have problems of X dying if I switch to console and back, I am
using the kernel framebuffer (2.4.17pre9)

HTH
Martin

--
PGP/GPG encrypted mail preferred, see header
,--
| Nur tote Fische schwimmen mit dem Strom
`--