Re: signal 4 kills X

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> [2002.03.29.2104 +0100]:
> also sprach Andrew Agno <agno@AI.SRI.COM> [2002.03.29.1953 +0100]:
> > Possibly a problem with an interaction with any power-saving mode you
> > have?
>
> i was thinking about that too, but on AC power, all the BIOS power
> stuff is disabled (and i am running it on AC power currently).
>
> but for testing purposes, i have disabled apmd for now.

(no effect)

> however, the laptop is neither suspended nor unplugged, not even the
> display is closed... i am going to record the idle time until it crashes
> now!

here are the recorded times of three crashes:

idle time start:                  crash:
Fri Mar 29 21:17:49 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 21:37:49 CET 2002
Fri Mar 29 21:39:17 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 21:59:18 CET 2002
Fri Mar 29 22:19:23 CET 2002      Fri Mar 29 22:39:24 CET 2002

i think you get the idea. 20 minutes. but neither my BIOS has a 20
minute setting for APM/ACPI nor can i find a 5+15 setting or anything
like that. ACPI is disabled anyway.

to make sure, i disabled all power management in the BIOS, which was
only "Smart CPU mode" for AC and rebooted. waiting for that result
now. ah, there she comes... but a crash after 20 minutes...

the last thing to test is boot-time disabling of apm, so at the lilo
prompt: linux apm=off

but another crash after 20 minutes. wtf???

how should i proceed from here?

after you install windows xp, you have the option to create user
accounts. if you create user accounts, by default, they will have an
account type of administrator with no password. way to go!