Re: Kernel Panic

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 12:41:56PM -0500, james martinez wrote:
> If anyone could help with this I would appriciate it. I installed a new
> Nvidia Gforce 4 card in my system last weekend. So I had to compile a
> custom kernel to setup the drivers for it. I got the 2.4.18 source with
> apget and used the kernel-packaging tool to create a new kernel image. I
> got the nvidia drives installed and working but had left out some other
> drivers that my system needs. So this weekend I decided to fix that. I
> started by rerunning xconfig and selecting the drivers I needed to be
> loaded as modules. Then used make-kpkg --append_to_version foo when I
> rebuilt the kernel. Now I have a 2.4.18 kernel and a 2.4.18.2.4 when I
> try to boot the 2.4.18.2.4 which is the one built using
> --append_to_version with make-kpkg I get this
> Kernel Panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs on 03:42

I had this problem just a few days ago, when I compiled ReiserFS
(which is the format of my root file system) as a module, rather than
monolithically.  Are you sure you have enough drivers compiled into
the kernel for it to be able to mount a root file system?  This means
IDE/SCSI (whichever or both), filesystem modules, possibly RAID or
network drivers... You could also try using the --initrd option with
make-kpkg.  I've never used initrd's before, but I think this is the
sort of thing they're for.

-rob