Re: Advice on wysiwyg editor

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:33:22PM -0300, Daniel Toffetti wrote:
> > > Well, I need a wysiwyg editor a la M$ Word. The documents I'll edit
> > > are more or less as complex as one see in papers, I mean, numbered
> > > schemes, headers, footers, inserted images and tables, page
> > > numbers, footnotes, text styles, chapters, TOCs, etc.
> > > So far I'm trying with Kword, Abiword and Lyx. Abiword is better
> > > that Kword at importing M$ Word documents. Lyx seems to be the
> > > perfect tool for the task, but it lacks (to my taste) a little
> > > feedback. OK, I'll admit it, I believe it's very powerful, but I
> > > find it UGLY :) Some sort of "Print Preview" would be very
> > > valuable.
> >
> > Lyx could do "Print Preview" last I checked (via DVI or PostScript).
> > Lyx is *not* a WYSIWYG editor, though.  You might find klyx more
> > eye pleasing (though, I don't think it's been kept up to date).

Personally, I love LyX, since the only times I need anything
word-processory are for the types of scientific reports that LyX
loves.

> I found the Preview feature, it also allows for PDF. On the other hand,
> it seems that klyx has not made into sid yet...

KLyX is dead, IIRC.  Dead and gone, for now anyway.  I seem to
remember that the originator of the LyX project and the KDE project
are one and the same.  Once KDE hit the big time, he (and maybe
others) decided to port LyX to KDE, and did it in some ridiculously
short amount of time.  It wasn't accepted into the main LyX tree tho,
because the LyX developers were trying to develop a 'GUII' (GUI
Independent) system, ie core LyX code with various (XForms, KDE,
GNOME...) plugin GUIs.  This is still underway, years later...It's a
big job, maybe you would like to help :)

The other problem is that KLyX was only ported to KDE1, so even if you
could get it compiled, you'll need to install qt1.44 + dev, kde1.1.2 +
dev...I tried once, but then I realised that even if it ran, it's
based on a really old version of LyX and it's just not worth going
back.

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.