Kernel Panic

If anyone could help with this I would appriciate it. I installed a new
Nvidia Gforce 4 card in my system last weekend. So I had to compile a
custom kernel to setup the drivers for it. I got the 2.4.18 source with
apget and used the kernel-packaging tool to create a new kernel image. I
got the nvidia drives installed and working but had left out some other
drivers that my system needs. So this weekend I decided to fix that. I
started by rerunning xconfig and selecting the drivers I needed to be
loaded as modules. Then used make-kpkg --append_to_version foo when I
rebuilt the kernel. Now I have a 2.4.18 kernel and a 2.4.18.2.4 when I
try to boot the 2.4.18.2.4 which is the one built using
--append_to_version with make-kpkg I get this
Kernel Panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs on 03:42
Anyone have any ideas what I messed up?
I can still boot the 2.4.18 kernel but it is missing modules I need.
Thanks for any help.