Re: Need some sound advice - SB Live!

At 11:04 AM 3/20/2002 +0000, Alan James wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 08:44:23PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>
>> I think I need soundcore, but I'm not clear what kernel config I should
>> use to build it.  I'm not clear if I need ALSA or OSS in addition.
>>
>>  fgrep SOUND /boot/config-2.4.17 | grep -v ^#
>> CONFIG_SOUND=y
>
>Thats why you dont have a soundcore module. You've built soundcore into the
>kernel. If you changed that y to m you'd get the module version.

Oh, ok, so that's "soundcore".  But is that a problem -- will startup
scripts expect soundcore to be a module?

I got xmms to work, finally.  I had added moseley to the "audio" group, but
I didn't run "groups" to see that the system knew that fact!  After
rebooting this morning it started to work.  I'd like to know why rebooting
was needed.  I had done

   # adduser moseley audio

Ok, so xmms runs but complains that libmikmod.so.2 is missing.  Need to
look into that.

It's using it's own OSS output driver it would seem.

   /usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.so

So, can someone explain if and why I might need something like OSS or ALSA
installed?

I while back I did install alsa-base and alsa-utils, but trying to run
/etc/init.d/alsa start I get

bumby:~# /etc/init.d/alsa start
No ALSA driver installed
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module snd
 failed.

So parts are still missing.

1) Do I need ALSA?
2) If so why?
3) What do I need to get it working?

Thanks very much to everyone that responded!

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org