Re: Alsa and debian

* Cheryl Homiak (chomiak@chartermi.net) spake thusly:
> Hi! I am using woody and kernel 2.4.17. I am trying to get alsa running for my
> soundblaster live card.
> I am not using the debian packages; I am using the source from alsa-project.org
> for 0.9.0beta; I have all packages, drivers, libs and utils and have
> successfully compiled.
> The documentation says to edit the modules.conf but I remember from when I had
> alsa before that in debian we are supposed to make an alsa file in the modutils
> directory instead; has this changed?

With debian packages and alsaconf, /etc/modutils/alsa is a symlink to
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9. Here's what's in mine:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-intel8x0 snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0

Change options and card type to suit your hardware. There is also
/etc/modutils/alsa-path that contains "path=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/alsa".

Remember, you'll need to rerun update-modules after editing the files.

> Right now, even when I use modprobe and load the snd-emu10k1 module by hand,
> when I try to use sound I get things like: "can't open /dev/audio; no such
> device". I assume this may be because i needed to load other modules as well.

Are you using devfs? If yes, you'll need to add alsa stuff to devfsd config.
Also, have a look at /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep and see if there are
dependencies for alsa modules there (depmod -a is your friend).

Dima
--
Well, lusers are technically human.                            -- Red Drag Diva