Woody install from scratch on 03/27/2002

Just installed Woody from scratch..  Aside from a few minor issues with
box characters during install(instead of the box being drawn with high
ascii, it used text characters), the install went pretty flawlessly.

Hardware is a p120, Data-expert 8661 motherboard, 32 meg ram, 1.6
gig WDC hard drive, S3Virge 325 video card, realtek 8139 based network
card.  Pretty standard box, been using similar for years as Linux systems.

Comments on the install:

It's good to see Debian asking to install the security lines in
sources.list, and other various things that came up during the install.

Dselect runs a lot slower than under potato, enough that I threw another
16 meg ram in the machine.  But that's a dselect db issue.

What REALLY impressed me, is that startx, out of the box(didn't have to
configure X like i used to have to)

a) worked
b) loaded
c) the display on the monitor (an old acer 14t) came up centered
d) the mouse works

I can remember having to use modeline generators etc, under potato with
the old 3.3.6, and then fighting with gpm for control of the mouse, etc.

Having this work all at once without any problems is VERY impressive to me
:)

My few complaints about woody are as follows:

1.  HOLY BLOAT.  I had potato in the 95 meg mark with X and gcc.  44 meg
with gcc removed, and all docs manually stripped out.
This is sitting at 165 meg.  I'll have to hunt down what's using so much
space.

2.  Speed.  X 4 is more bloated, takes a lot longer to load.. But that's
X's fault, not Debian's.  Probably related to #1 ;)

3.  Some work could be done on the above mentioned box drawing characters.

I'm using rdesktop, having it called from the .xinitrc without using any
window manager.  User logs in, it fires up X, which loads up rdesktop.
When the user is done, they logoff the w2k machine, and when rdesktop
ends, it dumps back to the standard text login screen.  Very fast under
potato, even with a p75 and 16 meg ram.  This is a p120, 32 meg ram, much
slower due to X bloat.

Then again, Windows anything takes a lot longer to load.

But again, not Debian's fault.

My next step is to get 2.4.18 going and see what differences that makes.
2.4.18 under potato ran fine for me, without using Adrian's .debs.  I just
side-stepped the modutils problem by not using modules.

(45 minutes later)

Seems to run much nicer and smoother under 2.4.18.  Had to replace
dhcp-client with pump, to get dhcp to work, but that's not a big deal to
me.

Bug?

13 seconds to fire up X.  I can deal with that.. Takes about 5 seconds on
a similar box under potato, although that runs off and starts icewm as
well.

<thanks>
So congrats to the team that has worked on woody for so long!
</thanks>

Mike Dresser