Alsa and debian

Hi! I am using woody and kernel 2.4.17. I am trying to get alsa running for my
soundblaster live card.
I am not using the debian packages; I am using the source from alsa-project.org
for 0.9.0beta; I have all packages, drivers, libs and utils and have
successfully compiled.
The documentation says to edit the modules.conf but I remember from when I had
alsa before that in debian we are supposed to make an alsa file in the modutils
directory instead; has this changed?
Also, I can't find anywhere a list of the aliases I'm supposed to put in this
file; is there something I am overlooking?
Right now, even when I use modprobe and load the snd-emu10k1 module by hand,
when I try to use sound I get things like: "can't open /dev/audio; no such
device". I assume this may be because i needed to load other modules as well.
Help would be much appreciated here.