Printer Setup (hp 1100)

Before spending too much time reading dated docs, is their a current Debian-specific howto/doc on setting up printing?

I installed magicfilter, and now looking at CUPS, but not sure if they can be used together - or if they conflict.

Anyone using an HP1100 that can share their experience?

Also, I'm looking at using an Epson photo printer, soon.  Is there support for good photo-quality printing with that printer series yet?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley