Re: misconfigured mailout lists.debian.org

also sprach dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2002.03.27.2017 +0100]:
> with.  With special cabling, no less!  (a custom y-cable to connect
> one NIC to the LAN and one to the outside using the single jack in the
> wall)

sounds like an incredibly secure solution. as in "physical access to
the LAN from the outside, two IP ranges sharing a segment..."

can i have your IP?

> | or i'll give you a subdomain of pantsfullofunix.net if you wish.
>
> That'd be nice, though I've got "dman.ddts.net" right now.

whateveryouwant.pantsfullofunix.net

> Technically the machine at home (with the IP given in the last
> message) doesn't have a static IP.  It uses DHCP to obtain its IP.  In
> practice, however, the IP has never changed (except for when I changed
> the NIC, and that was only once).  I'm not even sure the ISP has thing
> set up quite right because I don't think the machine is renewing its
> DHCP lease!  If you want to try and help me guess what's wrong with
> the system, mail me off list for the whole story :-).

we actually had that conversation, i believe... nevertheless, you can
very well consider your IP to be static in that case. the ISP doesn't
care, it's the way DHCP works, and noone complains... what's the
(real) point of force-disconnecting a permanent connection to change
the IP (pppoe, frickin' german telekom!). moreover, dhcpd-2.2.x
doesn't really even provide this feature.

"may your future be limited only by your dreams."
                                                  -- christa mcauliffe