Re: Gnome sound not working, how to troubleshoot?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:51:14PM -0500, Jesse Goerz wrote:
> On Monday 25 March 2002 22:07, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> > Make sure ~/.gnome/sound/system reads:
> >
> > [settings]
> > start_esd=true
> > event_sounds=true
> >
> > Make sure that sound files you are trying to play for the
> > different events actually are installed and that the user has
> > proper permissions to read them. Try playing them in a
> > terminal with esdplay.
>
> I have been following this thread because I have had the same
> problem.  To recap a little, sound works fine in all the apps
> except the actual gtk-event sounds.  Gnome control center had
> the appropriate blocks checked and esd showed up in the process
> table.  After searching for the above system file I could not
> locate it in my ~/.gnome directory!?  I did a
>
> grep -r start_esd ~
>
> and got this:
>
> jesse@leisure:~$ grep -r start_esd ~
> /home/jesse/.gnome/.gnome-orig/sound/system:start_esd=true

I don't have a directory named "~/.gnome/.gnome-orig" on my computer.
.gnome contains application configuration files and subdirectories
accels, application-info, apps, mime-info, panel.d,
sound, and wh-properties. application-info and apps are empty.

Maybe upgrade from Progeny is problem.
I started with gnome 1.0.x installed on potato and later upgraded to woody.
Have you noticed other parts on gnome that don't work properly? And, if
you put symlinks in .gnome to subdirectories of .gnome/.gnome-orig, do
the problems get fixed?