Re: Gnome sound not working, how to troubleshoot?

On Monday 25 March 2002 22:07, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> Make sure ~/.gnome/sound/system reads:
>
> [settings]
> start_esd=true
> event_sounds=true
>
> Make sure that sound files you are trying to play for the
> different events actually are installed and that the user has
> proper permissions to read them. Try playing them in a
> terminal with esdplay.

I have been following this thread because I have had the same
problem.  To recap a little, sound works fine in all the apps
except the actual gtk-event sounds.  Gnome control center had
the appropriate blocks checked and esd showed up in the process
table.  After searching for the above system file I could not
locate it in my ~/.gnome directory!?  I did a

grep -r start_esd ~

and got this:

jesse@leisure:~$ grep -r start_esd ~
/home/jesse/.gnome/.gnome-orig/sound/system:start_esd=true

I used to have all my sound working great.  I think it died
after I upgraded to testing.  I'm not sure though, it has been
quite a while and sound hasn't been that important to me.  I
created the directory ~/.gnome/sound and created a symlink:

mkdir ~/.gnome/sound
cd ~/.gnome/sound
ln -s ../.gnome-orig/sound/system system

Logged out of X and back in and I'm greeted with the login.wav.
I visited Gnome Control Center and everything works as before.

Thanks!

To throw some more variables into the mess, this is an old
Progeny machine which I upgraded to testing.  Could this just be
a result of that or possibly a gnome upgrade bug (from 1.2 to
1.4)?

Thanks again,
Jesse
P.S.  I was not the original poster with this problem so don't
let this thread die till Stan (the original poster) gets hooked
up.