Re: Gnome sound not working, how to troubleshoot?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 07:09:01PM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:49:40PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 07:22:45PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > > I'm seting up 2 machines, both have working sound, using mp3blaster
> > > for instance.
> > >
> > > However niether on iringaly had working sounds from Gnome sessions.
> > >
> > > A helpful list member sugested setting esd to SUID root.
> > >
> > > This cured the problem on one, but not the other.
> > >
> > > I can run esd as a user, and I get the startup beeps/ I've checked mixer
> > > levels, and they are all set to max. Still no Gnome sounds on the second mahcine.
> > >
> > > Where do I go from here?
> > When you start gnome, does "ps aux | grep esd -" list esd in output. If
> > not, check /etc/esound/esd.conf to see that it includes:
>
> I show one instance of esd runing, when loged inot gnome, it looks like
> "esd -nobeeps", and is owned by the user. If I open a terminal, and kill
> it, then run esd from the terminal, I get the startup beeps.
>
> What should I try next?

Check ~/.gnome-errors and ~/.xsession-errors for error messages.

Make sure any users of esd are members of group audio.

Make sure ~/.gnome/sound/system reads:

[settings]
start_esd=true
event_sounds=true

Make sure that sound files you are trying to play for the different
events actually are installed and that the user has proper permissions
to read them. Try playing them in a terminal with esdplay.
--
Jerome