Re: Gnome sound not working, how to troubleshoot?

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:49:40PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 07:22:45PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > I'm seting up 2 machines, both have working sound, using mp3blaster
> > for instance.
> >
> > However niether on iringaly had working sounds from Gnome sessions.
> >
> > A helpful list member sugested setting esd to SUID root.
> >
> > This cured the problem on one, but not the other.
> >
> > I can run esd as a user, and I get the startup beeps/ I've checked mixer
> > levels, and they are all set to max. Still no Gnome sounds on the second mahcine.
> >
> > Where do I go from here?
> When you start gnome, does "ps aux | grep esd -" list esd in output. If
> not, check /etc/esound/esd.conf to see that it includes:

I show one instance of esd runing, when loged inot gnome, it looks like
"esd -nobeeps", and is owned by the user. If I open a terminal, and kill
it, then run esd from the terminal, I get the startup beeps.

What should I try next?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin