Bootp and IP ranges

I'm trying to get a bootp server to allocate ip addresses out to devices. I
have one for DHCP and now I need one for bootp.
 I don't want to have to know the mac address of each machine that will
request an IP address from the server, but I can't figure out how to avoid it.

 Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to have a bootp server giving
out addresses without knowing the MAC address and placing them in the
bootptab file.

 I did read the following on a web page, but I could'nt get it to work

 # Dynamic hosts will be added at end of file
# You need to define ranges of dynamic IP to assign from this bootp server
# use dummy name ".dynamic-X" where X is the range number starting with 1
# Generic option tag T254 tells how many IP addresses to assign from that
#range

Any help would be welcome
Thanks

Shem Page			Tel 408 523-5305