Re: install cperl-mode for emacs

On 26/03/02 Henrik Enberg did speaketh:

> If you're using GNU Emacs you already have it installed.  I belive the
> same is true for XEmacs.  Put the following in your ~/.emacs.el
>
> (defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)

    Grab the latest version though. I'm running 4.32 and it's been much
improved. The author doesn't recommend XEmacs though.

---begin quote---
  "Get newest version of this package from
  ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/emacs
and/or
  ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/perl
Subdirectory `cperl-mode' may contain yet newer development releases and/or
patches to related files.

For best results apply to an older Emacs the patches from
  ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/cperl-mode/patches
\(this upgrades syntax-parsing abilities of RMS Emaxen v19.34 and
v20.2 up to the level of RMS Emacs v20.3 - a must for a good Perl
mode.)  You will not get much from XEmacs, it's syntax abilities are
too primitive.

Get support packages choose-color.el (or font-lock-extra.el before
19.30), imenu-go.el from the same place.  \(Look for other files there
too... ;-).  Get a patch for imenu.el in 19.29.  Note that for 19.30 and
later you should use choose-color.el *instead* of font-lock-extra.el
\(and you will not get smart highlighting in C :-().
---end quote---

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix